Eric Anderson (@ericmander) and Frank McSherry (@frankmcsherry) dive into Materialize, a source-available streaming database that lets engineers build real-time applications. Frank is a data processing expert whose work at Microsoft Research on the Timely and Differential Dataflow models culminated in the Materialize project. Tune in to today’s episode to learn how the team at Materialize are making the technology from cutting-edge data research accessible to a wider swath of users.
In this episode we discuss:
- Sharing early ideas with an “academic open source” approach
- How Materialize made a commitment to correctness
- Frank’s developmental philosophy of iterative thinking
- Novel applications for the Materialize community
- Changing the way we approach problems with real-time data processing